Well it seems like Microsoft is on a roll, and late today US time released a new Insider build of Windows 10 Mobile. This build has the distinction of being the first build post what we would call the RTM release of the OS. While not a big jump version wise, the software has now progressed to 10.0.10586.29, and as such qualifies as it’s first cumulative update from the tech company.
With this release Microsoft is also adding more devices to the pool that can receive/install insider builds, including the LG Lancet. Surprisingly the newest Lumia phones, the 950, 950XL and 550 will also be able to take advantage of technical preview builds, starting sometime next week. To this end the Windows Device Recovery Tool will also receive an update to accommodate these few newcomers to the fray.
Microsoft says this update addresses much insider feedback since the initial 10586 build released, allowing them to focus on particular bugs. There are not any major changes in the build
- You will see additional improvements in upgrade experience, including devices with limited free space, map rendering on update, and RCS enabled device settings.
- Improved application backwards compatibility for Windows Phone 8.1 Silverlight applications.
- Edge performance and stability has been improved. Auto-completion has been updated to allow user to more easily edit the end of the URL in the address bar.
- Additional Bluetooth stability improvements.
- We have resolve issues on switching the active cellular connectivity profile on Dual SIM devices.
- Data profiles are now correctly restored in the out of box experience that would prevent some devices from sending or receiving MMS messages.
It’s not clear when we will see Windows 10 Mobile released mainstream, although it has been said to be coming some time in December. Microsoft will want to dot it’s I’s and cross it’s T’s before pushing the update out to folks not participating in the preview. One small step closer
If you haven’t given Windows 10 Mobile a try yet, you can join the Windows Insider Program for mobile here.