So there’s a hard way to force the Tango [MCR3] update onto your phone. You have to get the resources together, and there’s no guarantee that you won’t brick your phone in the process. There is though, an even simpler method that goes back to the NoDo update.
- Turn off WiFi and Data on the phone [and or remove sim card]
- Connect phone to PC and let Zune start and sync
- Go to settings in Zune and check for Updates
- Let it check for 3 to 4 seconds and disconnect internet connection [Wlan]
- Update notification should appear!
- Reconnect internet and run update
The timing will vary, so you will have to experiment a bit on the timing. Now the first update that comes through will be for OS version 7.10.8112, so repeat the process again to update to OS version 7.10.8773.98, [MCR3].
This method worked on two unbranded HTC devices that I have, the Mozart and the HD7, so I assume it will work for similar devices with no carrier branding. It should also work with devices that are carrier branded, if the carrier has announced that they have finished testing and are waiting on Microsoft to roll out. What are you waiting for, give it a go.